Saturday, February 17, 2007

Personal Space

al-aQra3 walks in and sees Elmo reading a book.


al-aQra3: O' Hello Elmo, how are you today?

Elmo: Hi Mr. al-aQra3, I'm good and how about yourself?

al-aQra3: I am sad.

Elmo: Why Mr. al-aQra3? Can I help?

al-aQra3: Maybe, do you know what Personal Space is?

Elmo: Why certainly, it is the space around every individual.

al-aQra3: Yes… That is correct Elmo. I am sad, because not everyone respects that space.

Elmo: Awwww… I am sorry to hear that. Maybe there is a way to educate the people.

al-aQra3: Hmmm… What do you mean?

Elmo: Let us teach the people a lesson about Personal Space. That way they understand it more and in the future respect it more.

al-aQra3: Why that’s a great idea.


al-aQra3 and Elmo look towards the camera.

Today’s lesson is… P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L S-P-A-C-E.


Where should I start? No you’re too far away, get a little closer please. No, no, a bit more closer. Yes damn it, we’re in each other’s personal space!

Some people don’t buy the concept of Personal Space. Well they bought the idea of AIR, they breathe it, but they don’t see it. They bought the idea of micro germs, they don’t see them, yet they get sick by them. So what’s so different about Personal Space?

Each one of us has Personal Space around them, it is the area where if crossed, you get irritated, or excited, as a matter of fact, even if no contact has been made.

Personal Space is a relative term, some cultures’ Personal Space is around 1 meter, and others are closer or further away. And of course, some cultures don’t have that concept at all.

Why are so many people so insensitive about this? Can’t they get the hint if I frowned or “HIFFed” or “HUFFed” away when they’re too close? What does a man (or lady) have to do to get that creep out of their Personal Space?

I’m sorry, I can’t help you. I too am a victim of this. I tried many things, some of them work out, and some go unnoticed. At airport lines for example, I’d put my bag behind me so that it would serve as a separator, just like the bars used in grocery stores at the cashier. Then of course the guy behind me would lean forward trying to look ahead, like there’s a big show in front!

Anyway… that’s it. I have nothing more of value to add. If you have any idea on how to stop this annoyance from happening, let me know.

Below, some examples of what I’m talking about. Enjoy.




See that guy? He knows about Personal Space. Let's all be like him.


al-aQra3 and Elmo: Bye bye everyone... Thank You for tuning in.

No comments: